Plan Your Visit
The Iowa Children’s Museum is a learning laboratory where kids can play, learn about the world around them, and create lasting memories. Our exhibits are not only fun—they’re backed by overwhelming research that says playing is essential! Every time your child visits The ICM, they’re learning through the Power of Play.
Hours & Pricing
The Iowa Children’s Museum is open Tuesday through Sunday from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm this fall, and members can play for an extra hour on select weekday mornings!
Tuesday: 10:00 am – 6:00 pm
Wednesday: 10:00 am – 6:00 pm*
Thursday: 10:00 am – 6:00 pm*
Friday: 10:00 am – 6:00 pm*
Saturday: 10:00 am – 6:00 pm
Sunday: 10:00 am – 6:00 pm
*Member Hour on Wed, Thurs & Fri from 9:00 – 10:00 am (members only)
Seniors (60+): $8
Infants (under 1): Free
Blue Star Museums
Reduced pricing is available for active military families through the Blue Star Museums program. Present your military ID to our front desk staff to redeem this discount. If you reserve your tickets online in advance, we will be happy to refund the value of the discount upon your arrival!
Association of Children’s Museum Network
Members of other children’s museums in the ACM Reciprocal Network receive 50% off their admission to The Iowa Children’s Museum! Present your membership card to our front desk staff upon arrival to redeem this discount.
The global pandemic is a challenge we continue to face together. Thank you for doing your part to protect the health of everyone in our space.
- Please wear a mask. To protect our young guests who are not eligible for vaccination, we strongly recommend everyone (2 years+) wear a mask in our space.
- We are still operating at reduced capacity. During busy days, walk-ins without a membership may be put on a waitlist. To guarantee immediate entry, advanced ticket reservations are recommended for non-members.
As the impact of the pandemic changes, we will adjust our practices as well. Our priority will always be to protect the health of guests and staff. If you would like any clarification about our current policies, don’t hesitate to contact us or ask a PLAYologist during your visit! You can also learn more on our COVID-19 update page.
The Iowa Children’s Museum is located in Coral Ridge Mall in Coralville, Iowa. You can find us near the southeast mall entrance by the skating rink and the food court.
Amenities & Accessibility
- Elevators – Guests are welcome to use the elevator to reach the second floor of the museum. It is located near the front desk, across the hall from the rainbow stairs.
- Family Sanctuary – Located in the ImaginAcres exhibit, the Family Sanctuary provides a private, quiet space for guests. This space can be used by nursing parents, those with sensory needs, or anyone in need of a break from the lively exhibits environment.
- Restrooms – All restrooms have changing tables and are wheelchair-friendly. Accessible stalls are available in restrooms on the first floor. Private gender-neutral restrooms are available on the second floor. A bathroom designed for our youngest guests is available inside the ImagineAcres exhibit.
- Parking – Parking is available right outside our doors! Coral Ridge Mall has more than 5,000 free parking spaces, including many handicap accessible spots.
- Strollers – Stroller parking is available in the coat rack area, located on the first floor near the City Money exhibit.
- Wheelchairs – The museum main entrances are wheelchair accessible with power assist doors and the majority of spaces within the museum are wheelchair accessible. If you are in need of a wheelchair, free rentals are provided at the Coral Ridge Mall Guest Welcome Center.
- ICM for Everyone – The ICM for Everyone program provides Museum Memberships for economically disadvantaged families. Learn more.
- Free Programs & Events – We offer a variety of free events and programs throughout the year, including STEM Family Free Night, Super Hero Night, and a number of annual community events. Visit our event Calendar to learn more.
- Group Visits – Email firstname.lastname@example.org
to discuss options if you would like to bring a group of 10 or more guests to the museum.
- Nursing Parents – We support nursing parents wherever they choose to feed or soothe their children within our space. If you prefer a more private location, the Family Sanctuary is available in our ImaginAcres exhibit and a Nursing Room is available in the Coral Ridge Mall food court family restroom area.
- Languages – Multilingual PLAYologists wear pins that indicate the language(s) they speak. They would love to chat with you!
- Mask Policy – We strongly recommend that all guests (2 years+) wear masks in our space to protect children who are not yet eligible for the COVID-19 vaccination and to model the behavior we ask of unvaccinated children.
- Museum Social Stories – A social stories binder is available for checkout at the front desk. Our virtual tour can also offer a look at our space for those planning a visit.
- Sensory Resources – The ICM is a certified Sensory Inclusive™ location. Guests can check out a bag from the front desk with items that can help lessen sensory overload including noise-reducing headphones and fidget toys. Bag items are also easily cleaned and sterilized for multiple uses. Certain areas within our exhibits are also marked with KultureCity “Headphone Zone” and “Quiet Zone” signage.
- Service Animals – Service animals and service animals-in-training are always welcome in The ICM, in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Animals such as “comfort animals” or “therapy animals” are not service animals as defined by the ADA and are therefore not allowed in our exhibits.
Frequently Asked Questions
We are still operating at reduced capacity. Walk-ins will be accommodated as capacity limits allow, but priority is given to members and advanced ticket holders. During busy days, non-member guests who arrive without purchasing tickets in advance may be put on a waitlist. Members do not need to reserve tickets in advance.
To guarantee immediate entry, non-members are encouraged to purchase tickets in advance. Click here to purchase tickets.
Yes, the museum is limiting attendance in order to make social distancing possible during play time.
We strongly encourage all guests (2 years+) to wear masks in our space to protect children who are not yet eligible for the COVID-19 vaccination and to model the behavior we ask of unvaccinated children.
We sanitize high-touch areas (door handles, railings, light switches, etc.) throughout the day. We also conduct a thorough, museum-wide sanitizing of exhibit surfaces, toys and other props multiple times per week.
We ask all guests to maintain social distance from other play groups during their visit. Our overall reduced capacity also makes it easier to maintain social distance. You will notice floor markers and signage throughout the museum that provide reminders on desired traffic flow and social distancing.
Exhibits may occasionally close for cleaning, but no exhibits are completely closed at this time.
Go to our ticketing page and select the date and time you would like to visit. Put one admission into your cart (either adult or child, depending on the pass holder). Log in to your account using the email address associated with your annual pass. One admission will be free when you proceed to checkout. If there are multiple annual pass holders in your group, please log in separately for each pass holder, and check out separately to receive each free admission. Use the Need Help Logging On? function if you do not know your username or password. You may register additional guests at the same time as an annual pass holder and pay regular admission for those guests.
Yes, you can experience our 28,000 square foot learning playground like never before through our MyICM facility rental program! With the museum’s reduced public hours, we have a unique opportunity to provide our entire space to individuals looking for a more private play experience. For a $250 flat fee, you can have the entire children’s museum to yourself. Learn more here.
Traditional birthday parties with cake, favors, and a party room are temporarily postponed. Families looking for options to celebrate their child’s birthday, however, may be interested in our “MyICM” facility rental program! With the museum’s reduced public hours, we have a unique opportunity to provide our entire space to individuals looking for a more private play experience. For a $250 flat fee, you can have the entire children’s museum to yourself. Learn more here.
We are excited to once again provide field trip opportunities! Email email@example.com to book your visit.
Outreach events are currently being assessed on a case-by-case basis to support the health and wellbeing of our staff. Contact us to inquire about having members of our team provide programming at your location or event.
Can I use a coupon, Family Day Pass, ACM Reciprocal Network discount, or other reduced price admission?
Discount codes can be used at checkout when reserving your tickets online. If you have a physical coupon, please provide it to our front desk staff when you arrive. They will be happy to take the value of your coupon off your ticket purchase or to refund the value of the coupon if you purchased your tickets online.
We are proud to be a part of the Association of Children’s Museums and provide discounted admission to members of reciprocating museums. We also offer discounts to military families through the Blue Star Museums program. Our front desk staff are happy to help you redeem your discount upon your arrival!