Plan Your Visit
The Iowa Children’s Museum is a learning laboratory where kids can play, learn about the world around them, and create lasting memories. Our exhibits are not only fun—they’re backed by overwhelming research that says playing is essential! Every time your child visits The ICM, they’re learning through the Power of Play.
Open Tuesday through Sunday from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm. Closed Mondays.
Member Hour is Wednesday through Saturday from 9:00 – 10:00 am (members only).
Upcoming Group Visits: None scheduled through September
Exhibits may be busier during these times. Visit our event calendar for special hours and events.
Admission is $10 for children and adults. Senior Admission (60+) is $9. Infants under 1 are free. Admission is always free for members!
Play is for everyone! We are proud to offer free admission, memberships, and events as part of our ICM for Everyone accessibility programs.
Museum visitors who participate in SNAP, WIC, Medicaid, Hawk-I, Head Start, or Free School Lunch programs can play in the museum free of charge during normal open hours. This pricing is available for everyone in the household covered by the qualifying program. Click here to view all museums that offer reduced admission as part of the Museums for All program!
We also offer free museum memberships for economically disadvantaged families. Click here to learn more.
Members of other children’s museums in the ACM Reciprocal Network receive 50% off their admission to The Iowa Children’s Museum! Present your membership card to our front desk staff upon arrival to redeem this discount.
Reduced pricing is available for military families. Present your military ID to our front desk staff to redeem this discount.
- Active Duty: We offer free admission for active-duty families between Memorial Day and Labor Day, as part of the Blue Star Museums program. The rest of the year, active-duty families receive a special “buy one, get one free” deal on admission.
- Veterans: We offer a “buy one, get one free” discount on admission for veterans throughout the year.
The Iowa Children’s Museum is located in Coral Ridge Mall in Coralville, Iowa. The museum entrance is located just inside the southeast mall entrance, next to the skating rink and food court.
Amenities & Accessibility
- Elevators – Guests are welcome to use the elevator to reach the second floor of the museum. It is located near the front desk, across the hall from the rainbow stairs.
- Family Sanctuary – Located in the ImaginAcres exhibit, the Family Sanctuary provides a private, quiet space for guests. This space can be used by nursing parents, those with sensory needs, or anyone in need of a break from the lively exhibits environment.
- Restrooms – All restrooms have changing tables and are wheelchair-friendly. Accessible stalls are available in restrooms on the first floor. Private gender-neutral restrooms are available on the second floor. A bathroom designed for our youngest guests is available inside the ImagineAcres exhibit.
- Parking – Parking is available right outside our doors! Coral Ridge Mall has more than 5,000 free parking spaces, including many handicap accessible spots.
- Strollers – Stroller parking is available in the coat rack area, located on the first floor near the City Money exhibit.
- Wheelchairs – The museum main entrances are wheelchair accessible with power assist doors and the majority of spaces within the museum are wheelchair accessible. If you are in need of a wheelchair, free rentals are provided at the Coral Ridge Mall Guest Welcome Center.
- Admission Policy – Keeping our space safe and family-friendly is important. To enter the museum, your group must include a child aged 12 or younger. Individuals of all ages with developmental disabilities are also welcome to visit with a caregiver; please inform our staff upon arrival or call in advance if you have any questions.
- Free Events – We offer a variety of free events and programs throughout the year, including STEM Family Free Night, Sensory Friendly Night, and a number of annual community events. Visit our event calendar to learn more.
- ICM for Everyone – We offer free admission and memberships to families in need as part of our ICM for Everyone accessibility programs. Click here to learn more.
- Languages – Multilingual PLAYologists wear pins that indicate the language(s) they speak. They would love to chat with you! Click here to view translated versions of our outreach materials.
- Social Stories – A social stories binder is available for checkout at the front desk. Our virtual tour can also offer a look at our space for those planning a visit.
- Nursing Parents – We support nursing parents wherever they choose to feed or soothe their children within our space. If you prefer a more private location, the Family Sanctuary is available in our ImaginAcres exhibit, and a Nursing Room is available in the Coral Ridge Mall food court family restroom area.
- Sensory Resources – The ICM is a certified Sensory Inclusive™ location. Guests can check out a bag from the front desk with items that can help lessen sensory overload including noise-reducing headphones and fidget toys. Certain areas within our exhibits are also marked with KultureCity “Headphone Zone” and “Quiet Zone” signage.
- Service Animals – Service animals and service animals-in-training are always welcome in The ICM, in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Animals such as “comfort animals” or “therapy animals” are not service animals as defined by the ADA and are therefore not allowed in our exhibits.
Frequently Asked Questions
We no longer offer advance tickets online. We are still monitoring capacity. During very busy days, visitors without a membership may be put on a waitlist.
Our exhibits are designed with children age 12 and younger in mind, but play is for everyone! Infants enjoy looking at our colorful space from a stroller or caregiver’s lap, and once a child is mobile, there are plenty of places for them to explore. We encourage older siblings and caregivers to play in our space as well!
Maintaining a safe and family-friendly environment is important to us. No adults are allowed in the museum without a child, and no child without an adult.* If you have questions about our admission policy, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
*Older children and adults with developmental disabilities are also welcome to visit with a caregiver; please inform our staff upon arrival or call in advance if you have any questions.
Yes! Our farming exhibit, Imaginacres, is designed for our guests under the age of 5. This exhibit is also home to our Family Sanctuary, which offers a quieter space away from the lively exhibits environment.
Due to potential allergies and mess, we do not allow food, coffee, or other beverages in the museum. We have a water fountain available by the art studio on the first floor. Water bottles with a secure lid and baby bottles are welcome.
Coral Ridge Mall has a wide selection of food and drink available for purchase just outside the museum. Your admission is good for the entire day, so ask to have your hands stamped at our front desk if you would like to leave for a break and return the same day.
We are closed on Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. All other holidays, we are open but are subject to a change in hours.
Our typical hours are Tuesday through Sunday from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Visit theicm.org/events for more information.
No exhibits are completely closed at this time. We are in the process of renovating the Take Flight exhibit; some areas of this exhibit may be closed.
Yes, there is an elevator located in the building lobby. All of our exhibits are designed to allow for wheelchair accessibility. If you need a wheelchair, they are available for rent at the Guest Welcome Center of the mall.
We have changing stations in all of our restrooms. There are stalled men’s and women’s restrooms available on the first floor. Two family restrooms and a toddler restroom are available upstairs.
A size-inclusive changing table is available in the family restroom on the second floor.
We do not. To keep the museum a safe space, we encourage adults to monitor and participate with their child(ren) and use technology sparingly.
You may put your coats, stroller, or other personal items in the coat room near the admission desk. We do not recommend leaving purses, cell phones or other valuables unattended. The Children’s Museum is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
We sanitize high-touch areas (door handles, railings, light switches, etc.) throughout the day. We also conduct a thorough, museum-wide sanitizing of exhibit surfaces, toys and other props multiple times per week.