Plan Your Visit
The Iowa Children’s Museum is a learning laboratory where kids can play, learn about the world around them, and create lasting memories. Our exhibits are not only fun—they’re backed by overwhelming research that says playing is essential! Every time your child visits The ICM, they’re learning through the Power of Play.
Hours & Pricing
The Iowa Children’s Museum is currently open Wednesday through Sunday. Thank you for your understanding as our hours of operation continue to evolve alongside the ever-changing public health landscape.
Play sessions help maintain reduced capacity limits. You are welcome to enter any time during your play session.
Wednesday: 10 am – 1 pm & 2 – 5 pm
Thursday: 10 am – 1 pm & 2 – 5 pm
Friday: 10 am – 1 pm & 2 – 5 pm
Saturday: 9:30 am – 1:30 pm & 2 – 6 pm
Sunday: 9:30 am – 1:30 pm & 2 – 6 pm
Wednesday, Thursday and Friday from 9 – 10 am
Members only. Members are welcome to stay through the end of the first play session (1 pm).
Monday and Tuesday
Admission: Advanced tickets are required for all guests.
- Adults: $9
- Children: $9
- Seniors: $8
- Infants (under 1): Free
- Members: Free
Become a member and experience a year of unlimited visits to the museum!
Reduced pricing is also available for military families and members of the Association of Children’s Museum network. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for instructions on redeeming your discount.
Playing in a New Way: COVID-19 Policies
While COVID-19 is a challenge we continue to face together, we are confident in our current ways of playing.
- Masks are required for everyone 2 years of age and older, including those who have been vaccinated.
- Online ticket reservation is required. Reserve your tickets now by clicking here.
- Take turns and social distance. We ask all play groups to stick together and maintain distance from other groups.
As the impact of the pandemic changes, we will adjust our practices as well. Our priority will always be to protect the health of guests and staff.
The Iowa Children’s Museum is located in Coral Ridge Mall in Coralville, Iowa. You can find us near the southeast mall entrance by the skating rink and the food court.
Amenities & Accessibility
- Elevators – Guests are welcome to use the elevator to reach the second floor of the museum. It is located near the front desk, across the hall from the rainbow stairs.
- Family Sanctuary – Located in the ImaginAcres exhibit, the Family Sanctuary provides a private, quiet space for guests. This space can be used by nursing parents, those with sensory needs, or anyone in need of a break from the lively exhibits environment.
- Restrooms – All restrooms have changing tables and are wheelchair-friendly. Accessible stalls are available in restrooms on the first floor. Private gender-neutral restrooms are available on the second floor. A bathroom designed for our youngest guests is available inside the ImagineAcres exhibit.
- Parking – Parking is available right outside our doors! Coral Ridge Mall has more than 5,000 free parking spaces, including many handicap accessible spots.
- Strollers – Stroller parking is available in the coat rack area, located on the first floor near the City Money exhibit.
- Wheelchairs – The museum main entrances are wheelchair accessible with power assist doors and the majority of spaces within the museum are wheelchair accessible. If you are in need of a wheelchair, free rentals are provided at the Coral Ridge Mall Guest Welcome Center.
- ICM for Everyone – The ICM for Everyone program provides Museum Memberships for economically disadvantaged families. Learn more.
- Free Programs & Events – We offer a variety of free events and programs throughout the year, including STEM Family Free Night, Super Hero Night, and a number of annual community events. Visit our event Calendar to learn more.
- Nursing Parents – We support nursing parents wherever they choose to feed or soothe their children within our space. If you prefer a more private location, the Family Sanctuary is available in our ImaginAcres exhibit and a Nursing Room is available in the Coral Ridge Mall food court family restroom area.
- Languages – Multilingual PLAYologists wear pins that indicate the language(s) they speak. They would love to chat with you!
- Mask Policy – All guests 2 years of age and older are required to wear a mask over their mouth and nose during their visit. This requirement includes those who have been vaccinated. If someone in your group is physically unable to wear a mask, however, please let us know and we will make accommodations.
- Museum Social Stories – A social stories binder is available for checkout at the front desk. Our virtual tour can also offer a look at our space for those planning a visit.
- Sensory Resources – The ICM is a certified Sensory Inclusive™ location. Guests can check out a bag from the front desk with items that can help lessen sensory overload including noise-reducing headphones and fidget toys. Bag items are also easily cleaned and sterilized for multiple uses. Certain areas within our exhibits are also marked with KultureCity “Headphone Zone” and “Quiet Zone” signage.
- Service Animals – Service animals and service animals-in-training are always welcome in The ICM, in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Animals such as “comfort animals” or “therapy animals” are not service animals as defined by the ADA and are therefore not allowed in our exhibits.
Frequently Asked Questions
All guests, including members, are asked to reserve their spaces online while we are limiting capacity. To receive your member discount (which includes free admission for members), please log into the website before checking out using the email address that is associated with your family membership. Please click here to purchase tickets for your selected play session.
Yes, the museum is limiting attendance to less than 10% of our usual capacity in order to maintain social distancing during play time.
Yes. All guests (2 years of age and older) are required to wear a mask over their mouth and nose during their visit. This requirement includes those who have been vaccinated.
Please let us know at check-in if someone in your group is physically unable to wear a mask due to health or sensory needs or contact email@example.com for more information on this policy.
We will sanitize high-touch areas (door handles, railings, light switches, etc.) throughout the day. We also conduct a thorough, museum-wide sanitizing of exhibit surfaces, toys and other props each day.
We ask all guests to maintain social distance from other play groups during their visit. Our overall reduced capacity also makes it easier to maintain social distance. You will notice floor markers and signage throughout the museum that provide reminders on desired traffic flow and social distancing.
When purchasing tickets, guests must agree to follow all of our policies and procedures, including ONLY coming to play if they feel well. The ICM team reserves the right to ask basic screening questions regarding the health of guests and to deny entrance to any guest exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19.
Another important part of gaining access to our space is wearing a face covering if you are 2 years of age or older. Our team reserves the right to deny entrance to any guest who is not wearing a mask or following our stated policies.
Exhibits may occasionally close for cleaning, but no exhibits are completely closed at this time.
Yes, you can experience our 28,000 square foot learning playground like never before through our MyICM facility rental program! With the museum’s reduced public hours, we have a unique opportunity to provide our entire space to individuals looking for a more private play experience. For a $250 flat fee, you can have the entire children’s museum to yourself (maximum capacity of 15 individuals, all museum protocols regarding face coverings, social distancing, etc. apply). Learn more here.
Traditional birthday parties with cake, favors, and a party room are temporarily postponed. Families looking for options to celebrate their child’s birthday, however, may be interested in our “MyICM” facility rental program! With the museum’s reduced public hours, we have a unique opportunity to provide our entire space to individuals looking for a more private play experience. For a $250 flat fee, you can have the entire children’s museum to yourself (limited capacity, all museum protocols regarding face coverings, social distancing, etc. apply). Learn more here.
We are excited to once again provide field trip opportunities! Email firstname.lastname@example.org to book your visit.
Outreach events are currently being assessed on a case-by-case basis to support the health and wellbeing of our staff. Contact us to inquire about having members of our team provide programming at your location or event.
Can I use a coupon, Family Day Pass, ACM Reciprocal Network discount, or other reduced price admission?
Discount codes can be used at checkout when reserving your tickets online. If you have a physical coupon, please prepay online for your tickets in order to reserve your play session and present your coupon at check-in to receive a refund for the appropriate admission fee.
We are proud to be a part of the Association of Children’s Museums and provide discounted admission to members of reciprocating museums. We also offer discounts to military families through the Blue Star Museum program. Email email@example.com for instructions on redeeming your discount at The ICM.