Resources for Parents: Honoring the Life & Legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
The Iowa Children’s Museum welcomes everyone to join them on Monday, January 16th from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. for free museum admission, service activities, and learning opportunities. In addition, we’ve collected some additional resources to help your family learn about Dr. King’s fight for equality and justice.
Continuing the Conversation: Resources for Parents & Families
- PBS Kids: Honoring the Real Meaning of MLK Jr Day
- African American Museum of Iowa: Who Was Martin Luther King, Jr. Virtual Story Time
- Unicef: Talking to your kids about racism
- PBS Kids: Books for Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Book recommendations from the Coralville Public Library
Small Acts of Service to Support Our Community
The Martin Luther King Jr. holiday is a National Day of Service, so we invite families to not only play together during their day off—but to support their neighbors through service and learning opportunities! During the event, we will collect items for the Coralville Community Food Pantry and assemble activity kits that will be donated to Neighborhood Centers of Johnson County. We invite you to join us in supporting the missions of these partner organizations!
- Most-needed items from Coralville Community Food Pantry
- Needs list from Neighborhood Centers of Johnson County
Additional Community Events Celebrating Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- “Celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. Day in Johnson County with these 6 events” | Iowa City Press-Citizen
- African American Museum of Iowa MLK Day Program | January 16th @ 11:00 a.m.
- Selma at FilmScene Iowa City | January 17th @ 6:30 p.m.
- Day of Service at Mercer Park | January 16th @ various times
- StoryJAM Songs of Change at the ICPL Storytime Room | January 16th @ 10:30 a.m.